Science today loves putting a name on everything. I heard about a "new" disorder yesterday called Shift Work Disorder. It is caused when your body's sleep clock is thrown off by your work schedule.
*Disrupted sleep schedule
*Difficulty in personal relationships
*Irritability or depressed mood
*Reduced work performance
*Sleepiness at work
Why do all those sound familiar? Oh yea, it sounds like my life for the last 19 years, also known as MOTHERHOOD! This is not a new disorder, just an unnamed one. I think all mom's could be diagnosed with Shift Work Disorder. Whether working outside the home or in the home, it is a 24/7 job. But I think the newly named disorder is missing a few symptoms as far as moms are concerned.
These would include:
* Inability to sleep without reading Go Dog Go
* Insatiable appetite for chocolate. All. Day. Long.
* The ability to down 32 oz of Diet Coke before 10 a.m.
* Driving the kids to school, piano lessons, dentist, dance lessons, soccer and not ever remember doing it.
* Eating all day long without ever sitting down.
* Going to the grocery store daily and still have nothing for dinner.
* Playing Candyland and feeling competitive
* Using Yo Gabba Gabba as your exercise routine.
* Not wearing make-up or a bra all day long and calling it a fashion statement.
* Choosing sleep over sex, or sleeping through sex. Whatever works.
This "disorder" has been around since Mother Eve and is not going anywhere. And Mother's will keep pushing through with every tool in their arsenal that they can.